The 2020 AFL season has officially been suspended until May 31, in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis.
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan made the announcement on Sunday afternoon, after the state and federal governments declared new measures to help prevent the further spread of the coronavirus.
McLachlan said the AFL will review the situation at the end of April and the League will receive ongoing medical advice to determine whether the suspension period will be extended further.
"To say this is the most serious threat to our game in 100 years is an understatement. It is unprecedented in its impact. It is unprecedented in the impact it is having on our game and the wider community, and as a community and as a code, we all need to take the unprecedented and required actions to get through this together," McLachlan said.
"I know that everyone involved in our game and our millions of supporters will be impacted by this decision and that many people will suffer significant hardship as are people right across the community but I also know that we all have a responsibility to the community and each other. And we have the will to work collectively to overcome this crisis."
The AFL will still endeavour to complete the reduced 17-game season this year, which it announced last week.
The remainder of the AFLW competition was also abandoned, with no premier to be crowned in 2020.